While I loved being pregnant with my two girls, I did always struggle with what to wear owing to my size and the oodles of weight I was putting on. Maternity fashion is something that is not at its peak in India but things are changing. The whole of last year (2016) we saw Kareena Kapoor Khan flaunting her bump and donning lovely pregnancy wear. Even celebrities like Genelia D’souza and the likes have been different in their own ways as far as maternity fashion is concerned. Pregnancy isn’t easy but if we find our ways out around looking our best and having a good time then it can be a good ride.
So, in my quest to bring forth some ideas on how to dress that bump up I spoke to a friend, a fashion stylist based in my very own city, Chennai. Shruti Charan Kodikal, is a fashion stylist who has styled for top magazines like Vogue and Elle and celebrities in Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai.
She came up with her top 10 tips for mommies – to – be and here they are! Enjoy 🙂
- Embrace your personal style – Look for fabrics, colors that bring out your persona. If you don’t have one yet, consult a stylist or look up some styles online or in fashion magazines. We live in a very informative world, don’t we?
- Keep it comfy – If you aren’t comfortable in what you are wearing, you won’t be comfortable around others too.
- Maternity wear doesn’t have to be boring or loose – its just about how you feel about yourself after wearing a particular short dress/fitted dress. If you think you can carry it off well then go for it.
- Maternity bras and jeans are a must in your wardrobe – No compromising on your comfort. A well fitting bra gives a lot of confidence
- Wear flats – cos you don’t want to end up having aches and pains that ruin the joy of being pregnant
- Maxi Dresses or kaftan tops are a good option for casual sunday wear – These are available online and easy to fit in, some dressy ones can be worn to parties as well.
- Pastel shades look lovely on a mom – to – be and bring out the bump well compared to bright, eye pricking color.
- Solid dresses, tops make a big bump look smaller, avoid a lot of printed stuff as it add to making one look bigger. However, if a quirky print suits you, you can pair it up with your maternity jeans or trousers.
- Wear good make up, do your hair well, a braid or just a good blow dry – If that adds to your confidence and happiness of course.
- A few pretty neckpieces, long chains and studs can always be used as final touches to an overall pretty mommy – to – be.
Hope all of the above help you look your best throughout your pregnancy 🙂
Moina is an enthusiastic Mom to two pretty girls. Apart from blogging, she loves to cook, travel, write, paint and contribute to her environment in whatever way possible. Originally from Mumbai, Moina now lives in Chennai with her little family.