As kids grow, it means more and more exhaustion and even more fun to hang out with them. While I keep my girl busy during the week with various art, music and dance activities I have figured out few things we love to do together. I am sharing those below, I am sure you have a few things too. Please do pour in your comments.
Top Activities To Engage With Toddler
- Cooking/Baking – As a little girl, I loved watching my mom cook, bake. I would just stand next to the kitchen counter and observe what my mom is doing. The actions of stirring batter in the pot, or the use of rolling pin to make a chapati – just watching and imitating these gave me inner peace. I love cooking and baking even today and so does my daughter. I guess I passed it on to her. She gets excited with the idea of baking a cake or just sitting on a tall chair and observing me stir fry vegetables. Using cooking as an activity makes it easier to feed her veggies. She eats what she sees me cooking.
- Art/painting – This again is very engaging. She is a bit messy but absorbs so much about strokes, the techniques and the way one holds a brush. I like talking to her about colors and how adding colour on paper or to an object makes it look so pretty. We use embellishments too to decorate whatever we make.
- Grocery shopping – the process of filling up the shopping basket to billing involves alot of convincing, as we end up in a ‘yes-no’ tiff at the chocolates, biscuits and ice cream shelves but just taking her with me to shop, pushing the shopping cart is pretty engaging. She even does pretend play on paying money at the cash counter, waiting for the billing to get over so that she can quickly open her lollipop.
- Organizing and folding clothes – This is so helpful. 3 year olds I’ve observed love doing this activity, so why not get them to help and have fun at the same time.
- Playing the guitar, dancing or playing any kind of music or any other physical sport activity – Humming a tune, doing a step or two is the best way to spend time for me with my toddler. My husband often plays some music for her to dance or sing. I believe it only helps us unleash their creative potential.
I am sure there are a lot more activities like gardening, beach trips, reading, story telling that also add to the list but the above 5 work best for my child. If you’d like, please do share what works for you and your little one 🙂
Moina is an enthusiastic Mom to two pretty girls. Apart from blogging, she loves to cook, travel, write, paint and contribute to her environment in whatever way possible. Originally from Mumbai, Moina now lives in Chennai with her little family.